same old same old
Thursday is my day off. I rarely have Jo Jingles classes on a Thursday but as I work on a Saturday I try to use Thursdays as a day of rest and doing all those things that need to be done - like the housework. Groan. Yesterday I had coffee with a friend pencilled in, but she cancelled, so there was nothing for it but to start on the washing mountain.
Jo Jingles uses lots of soft toys in its programmes. And because of Coronavirus everything is having to be washed between every class which makes much more work for everyone. So yesterday my radiators were full of miniature rabbits and red and yellow ' wings' as well as all the usual Hamilton household washing. I did three or four loads and then got out the ironing board. Those who know me know that I dont really do ironing. But some of the Jo Jingles stuff needs to be ironed so, martyr to the cause, I set to it. As I was standing there getting rid of the wrinkles I started to wonder what on earth I was going to find to write about for the Blog. I havent spoken to a soul, I havent done anything at all, so there's not much to go on ! The only thing that was going through my mind was the irritating thought that I was going to iron the school trousers and shirts and that the boys would then proceed to leave them on their bedroom floors so that they instantly look like rags. Grrrrrrrr
And as I was thinking this a phrase came to mind. If you want the same results, keep doing the same things.
Washing and ironing just keeps on happening because every day we take off the dirty clothes and put them in the washing basket ( or on the floor if you are a male Hamilton ) Until someone invents the self-laundering fabric then laundry is going to be with us till the end of time. Unless someone decides they are going to put their clothes on a chair instead of on the floor, the clothes will look a mess when they are put on again. If you never get out of bed until five seconds before you have to, then you are always going to be racing to catch the bus like an eejit. If the first thing you do every day when you open your eyes is to pray rather than reach for your phone, the God-difference will be tangible. What you put in affects what you get out.
Yesterday I wrote about experiencing the presence of God through worship. Of course, worship isnt the only way to experience Him, but its one of the more immediate and visceral. I remember years ago when my church was experiencing a move of the Holy Spirit there was a lot of discussion about how to recognise the presence of God. It's not the same for everyone. Some people may feel that they want to burst into tears, others want to fall on their knees. Some people might want to yell at the top of their lungs while others might feel a stillness and peace which goes beyond words. God meets us where we are. And we are all so different therefore its hardly surprising that we should experience Him in different ways. And its really important not to compare your experience with someone elses or judge others by comparing outward appearences. In John 12:28-9 we see God speaking in an audible voice from heaven. The crowds experienced the voice in different ways. Some heard something like thunder. Some heard the voice and thought it was an angel. Others knew the voice to be God. In any gathering where God is present by His spirit people will experience Him in different ways. And some will struggle to sense Him because they have not yet learned what His presence is like for them. His sheep know His voice. But sometimes His sheep dont apply themselves to listening and learning the language He speaks.
So..... if there has been a time when we knew the presence of God more strongly than we do now - what is it we were doing then that we arent doing now? Equally, if we feel far from Him and know that we have drifted from our most intimate place, what is it that we are doing now that has caused that gap?

Personally I feel that it is a very long time since I have soaked in His presence and felt the infusion of His love and peace and vision. I go to a church which doesnt really facilitate that sort of thing and I confess that I havent really made much effort to seek out places where I can. I used to play the piano and worship every day at home myself - and sometimes that would result in me making a very real connection to God which would lead to new songs or prophetic thoughts happening. But I stopped doing that so much when the kids were little. Mostly cos if I sat at the piano when they were awake they didnt give me a moments peace, and in the evenings I didnt want to make a noise and wake them up. Nowadays thats no longer a relevant reason for not doing it....... but I got out of the habit. The other thing I used to do alot was speak in tongues. Its odd, but tongues seems to be really low down the agenda in church over here in N I. Even in the renewed charismatic churches. Im not sure why, but I know it is not good for me and I need to pray. speak and sing in tongues alot more to build my spirit and tune in more to the Spirit of God. I've become lazy and you reap what you sow....
Lent is a really good time for looking at our habits, good and bad, and tweaking them. If you want a different result you have to do something differently. Im going to worship more on my own at home and use the gift of tongues more for the rest of Lent. What are you going to do to make more space to ecperience the presence of God?
Jo Jingles uses lots of soft toys in its programmes. And because of Coronavirus everything is having to be washed between every class which makes much more work for everyone. So yesterday my radiators were full of miniature rabbits and red and yellow ' wings' as well as all the usual Hamilton household washing. I did three or four loads and then got out the ironing board. Those who know me know that I dont really do ironing. But some of the Jo Jingles stuff needs to be ironed so, martyr to the cause, I set to it. As I was standing there getting rid of the wrinkles I started to wonder what on earth I was going to find to write about for the Blog. I havent spoken to a soul, I havent done anything at all, so there's not much to go on ! The only thing that was going through my mind was the irritating thought that I was going to iron the school trousers and shirts and that the boys would then proceed to leave them on their bedroom floors so that they instantly look like rags. Grrrrrrrr
And as I was thinking this a phrase came to mind. If you want the same results, keep doing the same things.
Yesterday I wrote about experiencing the presence of God through worship. Of course, worship isnt the only way to experience Him, but its one of the more immediate and visceral. I remember years ago when my church was experiencing a move of the Holy Spirit there was a lot of discussion about how to recognise the presence of God. It's not the same for everyone. Some people may feel that they want to burst into tears, others want to fall on their knees. Some people might want to yell at the top of their lungs while others might feel a stillness and peace which goes beyond words. God meets us where we are. And we are all so different therefore its hardly surprising that we should experience Him in different ways. And its really important not to compare your experience with someone elses or judge others by comparing outward appearences. In John 12:28-9 we see God speaking in an audible voice from heaven. The crowds experienced the voice in different ways. Some heard something like thunder. Some heard the voice and thought it was an angel. Others knew the voice to be God. In any gathering where God is present by His spirit people will experience Him in different ways. And some will struggle to sense Him because they have not yet learned what His presence is like for them. His sheep know His voice. But sometimes His sheep dont apply themselves to listening and learning the language He speaks.
So..... if there has been a time when we knew the presence of God more strongly than we do now - what is it we were doing then that we arent doing now? Equally, if we feel far from Him and know that we have drifted from our most intimate place, what is it that we are doing now that has caused that gap?
Personally I feel that it is a very long time since I have soaked in His presence and felt the infusion of His love and peace and vision. I go to a church which doesnt really facilitate that sort of thing and I confess that I havent really made much effort to seek out places where I can. I used to play the piano and worship every day at home myself - and sometimes that would result in me making a very real connection to God which would lead to new songs or prophetic thoughts happening. But I stopped doing that so much when the kids were little. Mostly cos if I sat at the piano when they were awake they didnt give me a moments peace, and in the evenings I didnt want to make a noise and wake them up. Nowadays thats no longer a relevant reason for not doing it....... but I got out of the habit. The other thing I used to do alot was speak in tongues. Its odd, but tongues seems to be really low down the agenda in church over here in N I. Even in the renewed charismatic churches. Im not sure why, but I know it is not good for me and I need to pray. speak and sing in tongues alot more to build my spirit and tune in more to the Spirit of God. I've become lazy and you reap what you sow....
Lent is a really good time for looking at our habits, good and bad, and tweaking them. If you want a different result you have to do something differently. Im going to worship more on my own at home and use the gift of tongues more for the rest of Lent. What are you going to do to make more space to ecperience the presence of God?
Comments
Post a Comment