Receiving a gift

Someone sent me something last week.  It was an envelope which clearly contained something more than a letter.  It was sent recorded delivery.  I sort of thought I might recognise the handwriting on the envelope although it was addressed in block capitals - very neatly.  On the back it said ' do not open until 22nd March'.   Mother's day. 

I assumed it was one of two things.  I'd entered a competition online for Mother's day to win a family meal somewhere or other so I thought there was a possibility Id won and there were vouchers or something inside.  But then I remembered that I hadn't given that competition my address..... I don't think.  Hmmmm.  The other possibility was that it was from my Mum.  She knows that my work has finished for a while because of the virus and she is really good at sending the occasional present in the post as a cheer-me-up.  So I looked forward to opening it and was really good. I didn't even peek before Sunday.

Yesterday I opened the mystery envelope.  And the mystery deepened.  Considerably.

Inside was a card telling me I am a wonderful Mum.  And there were three gift cards inside totalling a considerable sum of money along with strict instructions that I am to shop for clothes for myself once we are all allowed out to the shops again.   There were till receipts enclosed - Ah ha!  These would tell me where the package was sent from.  I expected this would go some way to solving the mystery - but no.  The gift cards were purchased in Holborn, central London.   I don't know anyone in London except my brother.  But the shop concerned is a 45 minute drive from his house and the handwriting definitely isn't his.  My brother is a kind and generous chap and I suppose they could come from him but I'm not convinced at all.   I think I have a mystery benefactor 😀

The next thing that happened was that I phoned my Mum to wish her happy Mother's day.  And in the course of the conversation I asked if she had sent me anything.  She said no and asked why.  So I told her.   She was.... well, flabberghasted !   It was funny.  She could not get her head round the fact that a stranger - or at least someone who wanted to remain anonymous, would be so generous.  She thought it was brilliant, but really strange.  And I tried to explain to her that this is sometimes what church looks like.  People blessing other people for no reason other than to show the kindness of God.  I don't think she ' got it'.  But Im pretty sure she will be telling all her friends about it all this week!


Image result for they will know we are christians by our love

I'm sure you are all smiling and happy for me right now.  But actually a shopping trip to spend money on myself is going to prove quite a challenge for me.  I know I will struggle to walk past the clothes for boys and young men and head for the ladieswear. ( no Im not a secret cross dresser but I do have three teenage sons and a husband)  I know I will look at the price tags and think that I can't possibly justify spending X amount on whatever garment.  I know I will look at my current wardrobe and think that I dont really need anything much else to wear.  But this is the gauntlet God is laying down for me.  I know it will actually be quite hard.

And there's another thing.  The card stated quite specifically that I have to spend the money on clothes.  Because of the soundtrack of my past I find it hard to read that and not hear ' You always look a complete shambles.  Bin your terrible wardrobe and go and buy yourself something half decent to wear'  .  I know perfectly well that this is NOT what the card says.  The card says that I am a wonderful Mum and deserve a bit of pampering and spoiling.  Whoever sent it knows that I haven't bought myself anything new for ages, but I'm pretty sure they aren't trying to tell me that I look like a scarecrow.  But that's the first place I go in my head.  If they had sent me hairdressing vouchers Id really have gone off the deep end 😀 

And thirdly there's something else.  I have, in effect, lost my job for the time being.  I'm not worrying about it because Keith's job will continue until Jesus comes back ( he works for the council) and all other things being equal we shall manage.  Our petrol costs will be almost zero, no school dinners youth clubs and what not to pay for so Im sure we shall be fine.  But nevertheless I have been asking God to provide what we need and make up any shortfall, especially now the boys are all home and eating 24/7.     And yesterday He did provide - spectacularly.  Just not what I asked for  😁  It feels as though I have asked for basic provisions and God has said  ' Here, have a feast!'   I have been quoting the verse about the lillies of the field and the sparrows at people over the past couple of weeks.  And here I am being clothed like Solomon in all his splendour.    You really do have to laugh.  If God provides what I haven't even dreamed of asking for I can absolutely trust that He will provide what I have asked for. 
Image result for kindness of God cartoon
Can't wait to go shopping.
And if you are reading this...... Thank You !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shaken

The little things are the big things

Corona virus