Little moments of joy
I suspect, well in fact I know, that Jesus has a fantastic sense of humour. I know this because His disciples were passionate followers who left their lives to accompany Him - and people don't do that unless the person they are following is captivating, charismatic, intriguing and warm. Jesus told stories which poked fun at the establishment and I'm sure made the crowd smile. He told Peter to go and find a fish and proceeded to produce a coin from its mouth ' Ta Da!' Jesus was invited to parties, dinners and weddings. People liked Him. He was, as they say in this part of the world ' good craic' So many of the images we see of Jesus show Him as being so deadly serious - I like this one I found when surfing the net. Im pretty sure He spent more time smiling than He did frowning.The other reason that I know Jesus has a great sense of humour is that we, His people, made in the image of God, also have a great sense of humour ( most of us 😉 ). We have the capacity to find things funny, to experience joy, to understand a joke. A sense of humour, from an ' evolutionary' point of view, surely cant have much of a function. But we human beings are playful, mischievous, silly. We play pranks, we see ironies, we love puns and word plays and clever plot twists. Surely God must be like this too? And if there's ever a time when we all need a bit of light relief and a smile - now is it.
Someone sent me this today. In the light of the news that churches can no longer meet it made me laugh out loud .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOrYN2rb3OI
This afternoon I was driving back from town with all three of my boys. Since Sam went off to Uni in September there have hardly been any times when we have all been together in the same place at the same time and I have missed the nonsense that happens when the three lads are in the car. For some reason the car brings out the silliness in them. And today Sam plugged in his phone, found some tunes and the four of us started singing along at the top of our lungs. A bit of Beyonce - with various silly voices, harmonies and epic key changes, followed by Michael Buble and McFly. I could hardly sing cos I was smiling so much. The joy of the boys all loving the music, the music itself, the fact that we were all together having a blast - its priceless and wonderful and makes life worth living.
Comments
Post a Comment