Do Not Touch

For the past three days Ive been at a conference about the prophetic in church.  And because of the virus we have been asked not to shake hands or hug.  Not to lay hands on people when praying and to let people open doors for us going in and out so we don't have to touch door handles.  All very odd.

As I was being prayed for by someone standing a couple of feet away I realised how much the laying on of hands really does add to the whole prayer process.  Its not just a comfort thing.  Its not just a human contact ' I'm standing with you' thing.  Its more than that.   When someone touches you as they are praying, there's an impartation.  There's physical warmth which somehow brings the real and present sense of Jesus to us.    Not just for the person who is being prayed for, but for the person praying too.

Image result for no huggingIts been strange in church this past couple of evenings to watch people go in for a hug and then remember they shouldn't be hugging and backing off.  Some haven't managed it and have had full body contact anyway.  Because its a really really hard habit to break. If you are genuinely pleased to see someone and you always hug them, then trying to remember not to is really difficult.   I love that church is a place where genuine affection between people has an expression.  I know that for some people it's the only place in their life where they may receive an embrace, a pat on the back , a warm handshake, a kiss even.

I wonder if I was told I could no longer hug or kiss Jesus would I find it as hard to adjust?   Is my first response as I come into His presence to run to Him and throw myself at Him and get as close as I can to His heartbeat?  Or am I happy to stand at a bit of a distance and listen to Him without getting close enough to feel His touch?   Am I more comfortable standing with my hands in my pockets than I am standing with my arms outstretched towards Him?   Do I let myself get close enough to feel His breath on my face?  Do I turn to kiss Him ( one of the definitions of the word ' worship' ) Or is that a bit up close and personal?

Just thinking out loud........    maybe as you gather for church wherever you are this week you can determine to draw even closer to Jesus as we have to draw apart from each other.
                                                       Image result for draw close to god and he will draw close to you

In other awesome news.....
A week or so ago I put out an crowdfunding appeal for the youth event Keith and I are running in Lisburn.  And two substantial donations came in, one from a church in Scotland and one from friends in Australia which completely stunned us.  Our young adults are gobsmacked that people they don't know in other countries are prepared to support them - what a joy to be able to demonstrate to them the truth that we are a body. That we love across denominations, boundaries, borders and cultures.  That God's people celebrate and support God's work wherever it is happening.   I just know that the fruit this generosity will produce will bless the nations in days to come.  Our young people will be generous to others as they have been shown generosity.   Thank you.  You know who you are 😀


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shaken

The little things are the big things

Corona virus